What is God Like?
GOD IS LIKE – A CARING SHEPHERD
With God as our shepherd, everything is going to be okay.
1. We Have Direction
(John 10:3b) “the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought all his own outside, he goes ahead of them. The sheep follow him because they recognize his voice.”
A. Where the shepherd went, the lamb followed.
(16) “I have other sheep that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice. Then there will be one flock, one shepherd.”
B. All we have to do is trust and follow Him.
2. We Have Provision
A. The shepherd was devoted to the feeding of his sheep.
(9) “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture.”
(Ezekiel 34:13-14) “I will shepherd them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines, and in all the inhabited places of the land. I will tend them with good pasture, and their grazing place will be on Israel’s lofty mountains. There they will lie down in a good grazing place; they will feed in rich pastures…”
B. He’s referring to the things we really hunger for.
3. We Have a Physician
A. God is always a physician to us.
B. God never promised we would live on earth forever.
C. God never promised every illness and injury would be healed.
D. God did promise to comfort our hurts, quiet our fears, sooth our troubled hearts.
4. We Have Protection
(1) “I assure you: Anyone who doesn’t enter the sheep pen by the door but climbs in some other way, is a thief and a robber.”
(10) “A thief comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy.”
(11) “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired man, since he is not the shepherd and doesn’t own the sheep, leaves them and runs away when he sees a wolf coming. The wolf then snatches and scatters them.”
(15) “I lay down My life for the sheep.”
A. God protects the souls of those who trust Him.
B. God protects the lives of those who serve Him.
C. God protects the eternity of those who belong to Him.