THE BIG REVEAL
Ten years ago we were meeting in the Multi-Purpose Building (MPB)
· Same sermon
· Some traditional and some contemporary music in both services.
We began building this 1,500 seat facility for two purposes:
1. We all wanted to worship together.
2. We built this facility for the future.
We began dividing again:
· “We want ONLY traditional music.”
· “We want ONLY contemporary music.”
We moved into this facility with two very opinionated and divided congregations:
1. A fully developed traditional music service.
2. A fully developed contemporary music service.
300 people sitting in a 1,500 seat sanctuary looks like marbles in a shoebox.
· The appearance has become discouraging to us.
· It communicates a negative message to our guests.
There has been a ground-swell of people wanting to get back together.
But this is really what everybody wants:
· The traditional group wants the contemporary group to join them in their traditional service.
· The contemporary group wants the traditional group to join them in their contemporary service.
Straw vote among the deacons:
1. “Would you like to see both groups in one combined service?” 100% voted YES.
2. “Would you support some of the other group’s music in your service?” 47% voted NO.
THE CHALLENGE: We all want to worship together, but we are separated by our music.
“May they all be one, as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You. May they also be one in Us, so the world may believe You sent Me… May they be one as We are one.” (John 17:21ff)
For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body – so also is Christ. For we were all baptized by one spirit into ONE BODY. (1 Corinthians 12:12)
(PROPOSED -BIG REVEAL)
Our Vision : ALL OF US WORSHIPING TOGETHER REGULARLY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS.
1. Earnestly pray about this.
2. Approach this with a positive, “can do” spirit.
3. Put the ONENESS of our church ahead of our personal preferences.
4. Let’s make June 10 our first Sunday on the new schedule.